Friday, December 20, 2013

Jesus Christ: True Success in Life



Luke 22:20
19 And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me.
20 Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
The sacrament of the Lord’s Supper established a tradition and commandment that would last throughout the duration of this mortal earth. Jesus administered the bread and wine (now water) to be partaken of in remembrance of His body and His blood.  Jesus promises that if we will partake of His flesh and blood worthily and often, then we  will always have His Spirit to be with us.
Jesus shed His blood voluntarily so that we could exercise our agency  and hopefully choose to follow Him and obey His teachings. Jesus set the perfect example for us to follow and strive to be like. True success in this life is  to  become as Christ-like as possible. The more Christ-like a person is, the more successful he is living. This is the one and only true measure of success in mortality that will really mean anything at the judgment day and throughout eternity. Being the best baseball player or the best singer or the richest person or the greatest doctor or the most popular person will all mean nothing of value in the eternal scope of life. In fact, these worldly achievements can ultimately hurt us forever. What matters most is the type of person we have become. All other things will be trivial. Thus, seek to put God first,  strive to be like Him in your thoughts and actions and desires and motives.
Be like Jesus of Nazareth, our Savior and King.

“I’m Trying to Be like Jesus,” Children’s Songbook of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 78–79
 
1. I’m trying to be like Jesus;
I’m following in his ways.
I’m trying to love as he did, in all that I do and say.
At times I am tempted to make a wrong choice,
But I try to listen as the still small voice whispers,
2. I’m trying to love my neighbor;
I’m learning to serve my friends.
I watch for the day of gladness when Jesus will come again.
I try to remember the lessons he taught.
Then the Holy Spirit enters into my thoughts, saying:
Chorus
“Love one another as Jesus loves you.
Try to show kindness in all that you do.
Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought,
For these are the things Jesus taught.”
Words and music: Janice Kapp Perry, b. 1938
© 1980 by Janice Kapp Perry. This song may be copied for incidental, noncommercial church or home use.
 
John 13:15
John 13:34
 
 


No comments: